reflecting

I have been missing home a lot lately. We have lived here for almost 9 months, but seems like we just left home yesterday. I find myself crying (or wanting to cry) at random points in my day, just because I miss home & my family.
  
We have made awesome friends here, and experienced some great things. I have no reason to be unhappy or upset about our move. God has really blessed us, but still, there’s no place like home. Even still, we have a great apartment (way better than our old one!), great friends, an awesome church, & Kevin is able to get paid for being a grad student. Other than missing both of our families back home, what I have realized is how much I miss my old job. Here’s the back-story:

When we were living in PA and the thought of moving across the country was non-existent; I was going to school to get my degree in Early Childhood Education. I was also working part-time as a preschool teacher in a nearby town. I don’t think words can explain how much I loved this job. I really loved this job. I had only started working there in July (2010), but I seemed to jump right in. I got to work in a room of mostly 4 and 5 year olds, and worked 5 days a week in the afternoons until closing. I honestly don’t remember a day when I didn’t want to go to work. I loved seeing each kid everyday and being called ‘Miss Lindsey.’ Of course, there were hard days, like in any job. But I felt rewarded, even on the hardest days, with knowing that I was responsible for taking care of these kids until their parents could come.
When we decided to move, I told my boss that the day before Christmas break would be my last day. I was dreading this so much. I cried for days beforehand knowing that I was giving up the only job that I ever really loved. But I had to listen to what God was telling both me and Kevin. He was lining up this opportunity for us, and even though I didn't understand it 100%, I knew we had to go.

Me and some kiddos on my last day of work


When we moved here just a few days after Christmas, I began looking for a job in a preschool. There are only a few here in the town we live in, but I applied at each one. I was sure with my past experiences that I would at least get an interview at one of them. It had been weeks, and even after calling each place, there were no openings. I was pretty devastated. This is was I love to do, why couldn’t I get a job doing it?
After nearly 2 months looking for a job, a temp agency placed me in the catering office on MSU campus. I honestly did not love it at first. Actually, quite the opposite. After working there a few months I tried the preschool thing again- still; no one was hiring and no one was accepting interviews.

I decided then that God had me at the catering job for a reason. His reasons are foreign to me, and I wish I could understand, but I don’t.  I have come to like my job here more as the months have progressed, but I don’t think I will ever love it even half as much as I did my previous job. To put it plainly; catering is not my passion. Food is not my passion. (I can’t even cook!) But I believe that God sees the big picture when I can only see a little piece. I am very lucky to have a job at all, and especially one that flexible and treats me well.
When God does decide to put me back working with children I will be extremely happy and thankful. Until then I will do the best job I can where I’m at.