Wednesday, September 7, 2011

reflecting

I have been missing home a lot lately. We have lived here for almost 9 months, but seems like we just left home yesterday. I find myself crying (or wanting to cry) at random points in my day, just because I miss home & my family.
  
We have made awesome friends here, and experienced some great things. I have no reason to be unhappy or upset about our move. God has really blessed us, but still, there’s no place like home. Even still, we have a great apartment (way better than our old one!), great friends, an awesome church, & Kevin is able to get paid for being a grad student. Other than missing both of our families back home, what I have realized is how much I miss my old job. Here’s the back-story:

When we were living in PA and the thought of moving across the country was non-existent; I was going to school to get my degree in Early Childhood Education. I was also working part-time as a preschool teacher in a nearby town. I don’t think words can explain how much I loved this job. I really loved this job. I had only started working there in July (2010), but I seemed to jump right in. I got to work in a room of mostly 4 and 5 year olds, and worked 5 days a week in the afternoons until closing. I honestly don’t remember a day when I didn’t want to go to work. I loved seeing each kid everyday and being called ‘Miss Lindsey.’ Of course, there were hard days, like in any job. But I felt rewarded, even on the hardest days, with knowing that I was responsible for taking care of these kids until their parents could come.
When we decided to move, I told my boss that the day before Christmas break would be my last day. I was dreading this so much. I cried for days beforehand knowing that I was giving up the only job that I ever really loved. But I had to listen to what God was telling both me and Kevin. He was lining up this opportunity for us, and even though I didn't understand it 100%, I knew we had to go.

Me and some kiddos on my last day of work


When we moved here just a few days after Christmas, I began looking for a job in a preschool. There are only a few here in the town we live in, but I applied at each one. I was sure with my past experiences that I would at least get an interview at one of them. It had been weeks, and even after calling each place, there were no openings. I was pretty devastated. This is was I love to do, why couldn’t I get a job doing it?
After nearly 2 months looking for a job, a temp agency placed me in the catering office on MSU campus. I honestly did not love it at first. Actually, quite the opposite. After working there a few months I tried the preschool thing again- still; no one was hiring and no one was accepting interviews.

I decided then that God had me at the catering job for a reason. His reasons are foreign to me, and I wish I could understand, but I don’t.  I have come to like my job here more as the months have progressed, but I don’t think I will ever love it even half as much as I did my previous job. To put it plainly; catering is not my passion. Food is not my passion. (I can’t even cook!) But I believe that God sees the big picture when I can only see a little piece. I am very lucky to have a job at all, and especially one that flexible and treats me well.
When God does decide to put me back working with children I will be extremely happy and thankful. Until then I will do the best job I can where I’m at. 

2 comments:

  1. You are so right when it comes to God seeing the big picture, and not us. I look at my daughter sometimes, and she doesn't understand why I tell her "no" & why I don't let her do certain things, and I think, "She doesn't realize that I know so much more than her, and I am doing all this for her own good." It is just like God, and it is so humbling. It's like God is talking to me in that moment as I'm talking to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey you were a match made in heaven for our class. You are deeply missed by both the children and staff, but God has an awesome plan for you and you will always have a place in our hearts. Please stop in when you visit your family in P.A <3
    P.s. I love your blog

    ReplyDelete