smiling down

When Kevin goes out of town I tend to become a hermit. It's completely unintentional, but I stay home most nights and just keep to myself. Today is day 2 of a 6 day conference Kevin has in Virginia. And while I do love time alone, it also gets me down sometimes.
I don't know if its the fact that Kevin is away (most likely) or if I'm just being a baby, but I was feeling quite homesick today. Just missing my family and home-things. Also, I'm still dealing with my Grandfathers death. He was my first Grandparent to have lost, and I don't think I knew (or know) how to deal with it completely. The other day I saw his funeral program sitting in our kitchen and I burst into tears. It just doesn't quite seem real.
But I love how the Lord places people in our lives at just the right moments. For me today, that person was a complete stranger. Working in retail I've learned the fine art of small talk. I can't say I'm the best at it, but I definitely have gotten a lot better over the past 8 months.
Today I was making small talk with a lovely couple who were browsing around. I come to find out that they had just been married the previous week! Obviously I launch into SUPER small talk and start asking details. This isn't a subject a chatty sales girl can just pass by!
In time, I find out that the guy of the couple is from Pennsylvania! Ok, this is big, people. In the middle of Mississippi it's rare to meet someone who has even been to Pennsylvania, or anywhere in the northeast for that matter, let alone be a native of my home state!
I'm sure I was talking a mile a minute; but I come to find out this guy is literally from the next town over from mine. And here's the kicker; he went to the same high school where my Grandfather used to substitute teach in the years leading up to his death. What are the chances?! Now, I didn't mention my Grandpa's name to this guy, or ask if he ever taught him in school. I guess I was just overwhelmed in that moment. I know it probably doesn't seem like a big deal to most; but for me, on this day, it felt like such a deep and personal connection.
I mean, I met a girl from Minnesota once in the store and practically hugged her just because of her northern accent! So this guy was like hitting the jackpot.
I just felt like it was a little uplifting moment that I needed. It made me feel so much closer to home, and to my Grandpa. I think he & God were smiling down on me, happy of this little connection they had placed in my path. And I am so thankful, because it's just what I needed today.
xox