the juicing run down


Just a few things we've learned throughout our juice this week :)

It's expensive
My sister and I bought enough fruit & veggies for what we thought would last us 3 days. We were out of apples before the end of day 2! It's really unfortunate how much more expensive healthy/organic food is than prepackaged stuff. But that's a trade off I suppose.

It's messy
I didn't really think about it before, but all that pulp, skins, seeds, etc has to go somewhere! It takes me about 20 minutes to clean the juicer after each juice. (So if you're juicing 4/5 times a day-do the math)

It's hard
Yep, it's tough. Especially when your younger sister is eating pizza & mac 'n cheese while you're trying to drink a beet. It's not very fun. It's tough to walk by the coffee shop, or vending machines, or sweet little girls selling cookies (ok, so that last one didn't actually happen). It's a true test in self control!

It's time consuming
Like, really time consuming. Another thing I hadn't really thought of before we started. It takes awhile to plan out the recipes, clean & chop the fruit and veggies, blend the right proportions, etc. And seriously, see #2 about cleaning the juicer everytime. Yeesh!

It's rewarding
When push comes to shove I really do feel good about juicing. I didn't do it to loose weight, but lost a few pounds after just 1 day and not really trying. For as often as I thought I might be hungry, I really wasn't. As long as I had a juice to sip on I didn't think about wanting food too much. It's very mind over matter.

A few other things:

I realized with the very first juice that I can't stand the frothy stuff at the top. The texture was making me sick. I know it was probably 100% psychological, but after that drink I started to drink my juices with a straw and it made them 10x better.

We made a lot of juices that followed recipes for the blue print cleanse. This was good because it made us put things together that we wouldn't have thought of on our own. Other than following those recipes we made up a lot of our own too!
These are most of the juices that we made;

1 golden delicous apple
1 clementine (peeled)
2 large carrots
3 handfuls of green grapes

1 whole pineapple
1 golden delicious apple
2 large carrots
2/3 handfuls of purple grapes
1 handful of spinach

1 Apple
2 Beets with greens
1 1/2 tsp ginger
3 large carrots
1/2 oz lemon juice

1/3 Pineapple
1 Apple
& a few mint leaves

In the future I hope to juice a couple times a week (most likely for breakfast), but probably won't do another cleanse for awhile. Once is enough for quite some time :)

Labels: , , ,