23 & far from home

Last weekend was my birthday.
My first birthday in New Zealand, and only my 2nd birthday ever away from home.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little sad leading up to it. We still don't know too many people here, and a part of me wished for a celebration with friends and family and a Mom-baked birthday cake.
But Kevin along with the few friends we do have here made last weekend so great. We took a road trip to a town a few hours north of us, right on the coast. The weather was perfect and the views were gorgeous. The snow capped mountains of the southern alps against pebbly beaches look like something right out of a nature magazine.We even took a short trail to see a seal colony, complete with a waterfall and adorable swimming seal pups. (yes, I took a million pictures)

So, yeah, I had a store bought birthday cake and 4 friends to celebrate with. But it was still pretty wonderful. And I think it's sort of symbolic of our new life here-simple is beautiful.
Here's to hoping this new year brings more simple, beautiful, & happy things :)