familiarity



Have you ever been somewhere so familiar but feel like nothing is how you remember it? Whether it's your best friends backyard, your old high school gymnasium, or the same restaurant at the same table where you always eat with the same people.

And then, you begin to realize that everything is just as it always has been. Nothing in that exact place in the world has changed much at all.

What has changed is you. You're seeing with new eyes and speaking with new words and thinking of things in a different light which causes everything to be just a bit altered from the place you have stored in your memories.

A few weeks ago, my Mom drove past the house I grew up. My childhood years from the ages of 5 to 13 were spent here; rolling down the hill in the front yard, or creating sidewalk chalk masterpieces. But the hill is no more than a small slope of grass, and the big expansive sidewalk that I remember is only a few squares long. My memories of that place were big and incredible and almost magic. But in reality it's just a small, simple house that looks like every other house on the street. Even today I continue to build it up in my head. And that little house will always be special to me because of the memories it helped create. But a little perspective changes everything, doesn't it?

This is life right now. Same place with many of the same people, but new perspectives.

Labels: ,