five



FIVE YEARS
The couple in that first picture look like a pair of little kids. Just 2 kids with love for each other and a wide open world ahead. We had no plans, but plenty of dreams. Some of those dreams have become a reality in the past five years, and some of them are still ahead of us.

God has taught me a lot through marriage. It is not for the faint of heart. It's no cake walk. But there is beauty in this strange yet amazing union of two people. I have become more myself while simultaneously becoming a better partner and person for my spouse. That logic goes against the laws of rationality but makes total sense because I've experienced it. My husband has lead me to pursue goals and explore life in ways I never had before. I encourage him in his passions even though I am totally clueless about some of them (fishing, trees, bird calls) and he does the same for me. He asks me tough questions and encourages me to step outside of the box. He allows me to see things through a new set of eyes. (very very cute eyes)

It's easy to look at these five pictures and think that our whole marriage has been happy and smiley and perfect. But there have been fights and tears and not-so-picture-worthy times too. Picking up and moving around the country and the world has been challenging in more ways than one.

A dear friend of ours sang a song at our wedding that went like this;
If you say go, we will go. 
If you say wait, we will wait. 
If you say step out on the water, and they say it can't be done
We'll fix our eyes on you and we will come

I laugh looking back on that now, because in the past 5 years it seems like it's never been "Wait" and always been "Go." Most times (ok, all times) I was clinging to the familiar and the comfortable for dear life. But we have gone. And I am so thankful for that. Because even though it hasn't been easy to go and leave everything behind, it has caused us to rely on what we do have; faith and each other. And at the end of the day, those are the two things I want in this life.

Labels: , ,