santorini


Santorini, Greece is one of those places that almost seems mythical. Like, we've all seen the photos of the blue domes atop whitewashed stone buildings overlooking the sea, but is that actually a real place? Does it really exist? When I booked out flights to Santorini it was almost like booking tickets to the lost island of Atlantis. But now I have proof! It does really exist. Although as I look at these photos again I have to remind myself that I'm the one who took them. It feels like a dream.

I'm so happy that Kevin and I got to visit in the middle of September, nearing the end of tourist season. The island is small, and seems especially so when walking the narrow streets that wind up and down the island towns. We stayed in Thira, which is a bit touristy but more affordable than some of the other upscale spots.

Probably our favorite thing about Santorini was the fact that we saw the whole island by way of an ATV. We rented one for 2 days and it was so worth it! You can drive on any road, beach, or alleyway that you come to, and parking is free. It's definitely the best way to get off the beaten path and see parts of the island that many tourists miss out on.

We enjoyed a few days in the town of Oia, as it is the perfect spot to see the sun dip below the horizon. And the sea food was perfection. The 3 days we had here was just enough to relax and revamp before hitting the ground running in Italy.



Labels: , , , ,