athens


In 2008, when Kevin and I first started dating, he asked me where in the world I most wanted to go. This is a sly question, because in reality the list of places I don't want to go would be much more concise. Just as I learn about a new city or country or culture and begin to dream of travelling there, another would spring to mind. But the answer I gave him then, and one that I kept going back to year after year was Greece.

Last month--roughly 9 years after our first conversation on the topic- we went to Greece! I was so giddy on the plane, I could barely sleep. Greece lived up to each expectation I had. Most days I just walked around with my mouth gaping open like a moron. Even though I'd seen some of these places hundreds of times in books there is nothing like REALLY seeing it. Right there in front of you.

Everything in Athens is OLD. Like, incredibly old. So it was a fitting place to celebrate my 27th birthday. (hah!) But honestly, seeing architecture and statues that date back thousands of years BC was pretty mind blowing. And the Acropolis museum is definitely worth a visit if you are in Athens. We could've easily spent days here, but still felt like we got a grasp on the place after just a few hours.
Kevin and I like to stay in Airbnb's when travelling to new places and we found a great apartment in Athens. There's something about staying in a local's place that makes you better understand the little nuances of life there. The 'shower' at this place was barely tall enough for me to stand up in- let alone 6'5 Kevin! But we also got to wash our clothes and hang them to dry on the balcony, which I thought was just so cute.
Every meal was a gyro or a croissant. Or fish! A diet I could happily survive on, if only to become an extremely obese person.
A few other things we enjoyed in Athens included an outdoor flea & produce market, the botanic gardens which also had bird houses and turtle ponds, and a circus themed cafe that had delicious tea and crepes. We were sad to leave Athens but had to take in a bit more of the country that we'd waited years to see. Next stop: Santorini. 

Labels: , ,