that time I practiced self control

Nothing like a good iphone mirror picture selfie shot in the dressing room at target on a blog, am I right? I know I'm not the only one who wants to spend every cent in my bank account the second I walk into that place. (I can't be the only one?!)

I feel like lately I'm learning a lesson in self restraint. Which, to be totally honest, is much needed. Last year I worked in retail (something I never imagined I'd say). I learned a lot of great things during that time. But unfortunately, I think I also got spoiled. I'd come home with awesome new clothes every week, sometimes multiple times a week! Depending on our sales I could come home with $100 in merchandise a week, easy.

Fast forward to now; I'm a student who does jobs on the side here and there like babysitting and subbing at a preschool. They don't offer free merchandise because that's called kidnapping and its sort of frowned upon :(

So when I rode along to target last night and this adorable denim dress called out my name like a thousand angels singing of course I had to try it on!  It was love at first sight.
But standing there I kind of had an 'aha!' moment. I realized I couldn't buy this dress (hence my face in that picture). I don't need a $30 dress that can't even be worn for another 5-6 months. I don't need one more ball of material shoved in a drawer somewhere.

Is it adorable?
Heck to the YES.
Would I find somewhere to wear it?
Absolutely.
But I really feel like God is making me re-think "stuff."
The difference between wants, desires & needs.

With a huge move approaching, we will only be able to take a few suitcases with us. Remember this post on simplifying? I'm really being made to put my money where my mouth is! It's not even about bargain shopping, because I've always been a deal hunter. But what's a great sale piece if you don't need it?
I think passing up on extra "stuff" is small trade off to the adventure we will be embarking on this year.
So the dress is back on the rack, my closet is just as cluttered as it was before, & I even learned something from the whole thing. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Labels: ,